The recording of my talk on October 3rd during the Belgian Windows Server 2012 Launch Event is now live and can be found here http://aka.ms/ws2012belgium or the direct link to my talk would be : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/windows-azure-insights-for-the-enterprise-it-pro
I had the chance to do some talks for the Belgian Community the last couple of weeks. And if you follow me on twitter you’ve probably seen the announcenments or were even present during one of those talks.
First talk : 27/09 – SQL UG (SQLUG.BE) – An evening in the cloud: the old, the new and the big
The goal of the talk was to give to SQL Server DBA’s and users, a 360° view on the Windows Azure SQL Database offering and all SQL Server touching or touchable services tagging along with the Windows Azure Platform. At first I was thinking to myself: there’s not much tot talk about that now, is there? Or so I thought! Then I started writing all the services and SQL related material and I came to a very comprehensive list, divided into 3 big blocks:
- “The Old”
- First of all a generic intro on the Windows Azure Platform, to make sure it was well understood
- after that an introduction on SQL Database in Windows Azure (trying to avoind the SQLAzure issueeven that evening and managed quite well :-) ) containing:
- generic SQL Database Azrchitecture (Windows Azure SQL Server is no VM but a TDS!)
- Capabilities and non existing features
- Migrations, Backup and Restore
- Management and Monitoring
- after having grasped the concepts of the latter I continued with SQL Reporting and some BI
- and as a last part of the first block : a lap around Datasync
- After that I also had to cover the Spring release , enter “The New”
- Covering ground on SQL Federations and Multi-tenancy
- the new IaaS offering and Native SQL Server Hosting on a Virtual Machine
- Hybrid solutions on both Windows azure and on premises solutions with or without SQL Database and/or SQL Server VM’s through the means of Virtual networking
- and covering the feature release of 2 weeks ago: Database Firewall, DBCC Statistics, Linked Servers and Recursive Triggers (that was just released a couple of days before my talk!!!)
- at the end of my talk I had one last “Big” Topic left
- all the side products
- Hadoop On Azure
- SQL Nummerics / Cloud Nummerics
- the other SQL Azure Labs offerings
- all the side products
so as you can see there was quite some ground to cover (to be honest I started out with 400 slides and was able to reduce the deck to 68. You can find the deck here on SlideShare.
Second talk : 03/10 – Microsoft Belgium – Windows Server 2012 Launch
Yesterday (03/10/2012) there was an event for the launch of Windows Server 2012 organized by Microsoft Belgium, which was a packed day on Windows Server 2012 (of course) and an additional Windows Azure Track. 3 members of the AZUG.BE crew were asked to do a presentation there: Kristof Rennen , Kris Van der Mast and myself.
I asked to do a talk on Windows Azure on where there is value for IT Pro’s in the platform and on what their key competence must be in order to make advantage of the platform.
More on the event itself can be found here :
- Landing page Windows Server 2012: http://www.microsoft.com/belux/technet/demo-ws/
- Landing page Windows Azure: http://www.microsoft.com/belux/technet/demo-azure/
Keep an eye out for the blogposts of Kris and Kristof as they will probably blog about that also (on their “gig”):
All sessions have been recorded and will be placed online shortly. When this happens I’ll update the blogpost with the link to the slides and the recording.
On October 3 2012 Microsoft is hosting a full day on the launch for Windows Server 2012 , “the Cloud OS”. It’s going to be a day full packed on both Windows Server 2012 (of course) and it’s full cloud counterpart Windows Azure. Some of my co-Azug crew members (Kris van der Mast (@kvdm) and Kristof Rennen (@kristofrennen) will be delivering session throughout the day. I myself will also be delivering a session there on the Windows Azure Insights for the Enterprise IT Pro. I will go into more depth on what Windows Azure means for your normal operations.
More info can be found here : http://www.microsoft.com/belux/technet/demo-ws/ and here http://www.microsoft.com/belux/technet/demo-azure/
This event will take place in Antwerp. Registering for the event can be done here : https://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1032527760&Culture=en-us&community=0
Hope to see you there!!!